Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Adoption

Did I mention that my church has adopted my classroom families for Thanksgiving? How great is that?!
(By the way, I know some of you had this thought when you read the title, "OMG - is she going to start a family?!?!" For you folk, the answer is no, I've got my hands full just trying to get the swelling in my face to go down - I have no time for babies right now. Calm down.)
Anyway, back to the true topic at hand. Sunday the fab folks of my church will be joining me in delivering bags of Thanksgiving goodness.
When the church first approached me about this topic, they wanted to provide a Thanksgiving feast. (How lovely.) But I wanted to speak with the school's outreach coordinator to insure a Thanksgiving feast was something they truly needed and she said we could provide a feast, but what our families really need are things like toothbrushes, soap and sleeping bags. Since most of the families are housing a hefty amount of relatives, in small apartments and houses, many of the family members sleep on the floor or in the garage.
(Go ahead...let that information about my little 5 year old students sink into your pretty little head.)
Seriously, I am speechless when these facts are thrown at me.
The other day one of the kids' breath was so bad, I thought he ate a zombie for breakfast. When I asked him if he brushed his teeth, he said no. So I asked him if he owned a toothbrush and he replied, "My mom can't find it."
This whole 'teaching children in poverty' is rocking my world, but hopefully I'll help bring some holiday joy this Sunday!

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment