Sunday, April 7, 2013

Faithful or Foolish? (a completely personal post)

A while ago I taught a little boy in first grade, then a few years later, I had the joy of teaching his younger brother in kindergarten.
They were a lovely family, 5 kids in all, devout Catholics and a pleasure to have in our community.
The mother was quite busy and confessed to (in her words), "not spend a lot of time doing academics with the kids". It seemed as the family grew in size (three kids, two years apart each, then twin boys), the less time she had for things like reading stories and math discussions with her brood. (I'd say this is extremely normal for almost all families.)
When I sat down for our fall parent-teacher conference, I shared with the mom the fact that her son was very behind in his reading and language skills. Her response to this (and future concerns) was always, "I know God will take care of it. I've been praying for him."
Yes! Of course God will take care of your children; all of us. I agree completely!
Buuuuuuuut, what if God's answer to your prayers is me, telling you, "You should read every night with your son."
Maybe I'm the messenger angel you've been hoping for every night!
It seemed foolish to me, but faithful to her.

As I hit crossroads in my life, I wonder (dare I say, doubt myself) and fuss over my decisions.
Is this new opportunity something I should jump into? Is this God opening a new path for me? Or is it another unwise mistake?

Am I being faithful or foolish?

No comments:

Post a Comment