Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Changing the Paradigm

Today I attended a conference entitled Changing the Paradigm: The Intersections of Adverse Childhood Experiences, Trauma Informed Care and Nonviolent Child Raising.
It wasn't a conference specifically designed for educators; the room was mostly filled with a variety of social workers and therapists.
I listened to some very well-informed folks and enjoyed spending the day taking in new information. Of course, the most important part of new learning is reflection time and I wanted to share a few thoughts that I took away from the day:

- We are agents for change for children. If something needs to be changed, we can put into motion what needs to take place.
- Asking/answering the question "How are the children?" can be an excellent indicator of our society's success. Can we say that the weakest/voiceless/powerless members of our community are treated with dignity and respect?
- Change the question, "What's wrong with you?" to instead "What happened to you?"
- Trauma can overwhelm a person so much they have an inability to cope, not just with the past, but with daily life. I see this with my students when they fall apart over a small social misunderstanding or are paralyzed with no options in sight when their pencil breaks.
- An overwhelming event + an inability to cope = loss of safety
- We can help by (1) increasing a person's ability to cope in daily life and (2) help them feel safe now.
- "Often trauma victims are protected by shame, secrecy and social taboos..." (I thought the use of the word 'protected' was so interesting)
- All traumas can influence brain development in childhood (effecting learning ability)
- When a child's home base is unsafe and they are confused in situations (i.e. abuse, neglect, etc.) the first thing they will do is blame themselves. ("It must be me. I am the one evoking the abuse/anger. I am dumb - everyone gets it but me.")

I could go on and on, but I know I need to internalize this information a bit more before adding to this list.
Thoughts, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment