Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Girls

Did I ever mention that I have the most amazing set of girlfriends?
Thirteen years ago, when I began teaching, our eight worlds collided and they could never tear us apart! (I hope you just started singing INXS Never Tear Us Apart).
It may sound cheesy, but it's so true. We each have very different lives, we've gone different directions in our careers and with our families, but for some reason the interweaving of our friendships have never unraveled.
I never took for granted the special bond we have, but it wasn't until I moved 1,450 miles away that I understood how much security I gained by having them physically close to me. Not only do I miss seeing them at our Girl's Night Out get-togethers, but it feels so foreign never bumping into them at the grocery store, pulling up beside them at a stop light or having one of them call and say, "I'm on the way to Tappy's (FroYo), want to come?"
It's another bit of my life that makes me feel like I moved to Jupiter.

Last week was not the most joyful week at work for me; I can't quite figure out why everyone isn't sweet as peaches out here...
But yesterday when I got home from work, this enormous gift was waiting for me. It made me cry and my heartache...who knew you could feel so many emotions at once?! Great love for those gals, deep gratitude for their friendships, happiness for my students getting all those supplies and a stabbing pain that I'm so far from the ones that sent the gift.
I don't know if absence makes the heart grow fonder, or if it just makes the ache more intense.

No comments:

Post a Comment