Thursday, February 28, 2013

110

110.
I will always remember this number. 
Yesterday was the 110th day of school and it was the first day a parent read in my class.
I lack words to describe what all this moment invokes, but I can say it was one moment where I felt like my old teacher-self again and felt like I was crossing a threshold into the community, as well as entering into a different stage of the relationship with the parents of my students. 
I feel like I'm starting to shatter through the language barrier that divides us and simply become two people working towed helping the children. 
The mom yesterday that came, does not speak English and I do not speak Spanish. 
So we read a bilingual book together - she read the text in her language, I in mine and the children watched, listened, giggled and most importantly witnessed two cultures being honored, while coming together.
It took 110 school days to get there, but I'm so glad we made it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment